CONTACT INFO

Pony Express Your E-Mails to Mike at: horseykrishna@yahoo.com






Thursday, October 20, 2011

THE SUNDOWN MAN

Jory Sherman holds a special place in my heart for lots of reasons, not the least being that he invited me down to attend the 1984 Western Writers of America Convention in Jory’s then-hometown of Branson, Missouri.

I was nervous about going initially because I was bound to be meeting some writers I idolized and was concerned that maybe they might be a little put off by someone as young as I was then professing to be a fan.  Anyway, all went well, and I forged friendships then that have lasted through the years.

I first became familiar with Jory through his Adult Western series, GUNN.  After the sun set on GUNN, I started seeing his “straight” Westerns and was captivated by them as well. 

These days Jory is back in Texas, having just reached his 79th year.  I imagine that he is at his happiest doing what he does so well and seeing that he’s getting the critical praise he so richly deserves. 

Piece of advice: if you run into Jory at a convention or a book signing, ask him to “show his badge”.  He does the most dead-on Alfonso Bedoya impression you’ll ever hear!

I challenge you to pick up any of Jory’s books; you will be thoroughly entertained by a master who is always at the top of his game.

No comments:

Post a Comment