CONTACT INFO

Pony Express Your E-Mails to Mike at: horseykrishna@yahoo.com






Friday, September 30, 2011

WESTERN HISTORY REFERENCE BOOKS (POST #1)

Because this blog has caught the eye of several Western Writers – and also due to the fact that a question was posed recently on the Western Readers Facebook Page to which I’m privileged to belong – I’ve decided that I’m going to post (over a period of time) covers of my favorite reference books as a guide to those who are seeking factual data on the Old West.  Sorry, my books are not for sale.

I do not claim to have a humongous library of them, but I do have an impressive (to me, anyway!) collection and am only too happy to share them here with you so that you’ll have an idea of what to look for. 

Let me say from the outset here that I do NOT recommend the Time-Life series “The Old West”.  Don’t get me wrong, the books are beautiful, wonderfully packaged and include hundreds of priceless photos; for those reasons they are great to have, but please do not trust (or use) a lot of what you read there.

Some of these reference books are long out of print, so if you want them you’ll have to check Amazon, etc., or even your local libraries. 

I hope this will be of help to those needing it.  Best of luck, amigos and amigas!


From Great Britain. 



James D. Horan's Classic Bit of Gunfighter History.

The first one in the series that I found - and one that has been invaluable to me.


This helped me immensely when I wrote my piece on "Uncle" Bill Tilghman.


Leon Claire Metz - I just about have to genuflect when I say his name.  This is an autographed copy!

No comments:

Post a Comment